Thursday 14 February 2013

Bring back the picnic baskets - and I want a balloon

 My husband bought me a beautiful picnic basket from Wheel and Barrow for our anniversary- wicker with ceramic plates, real cutlery,  real glasses, green gingham cloth napkins and an inbuilt cooler bag.  So decadent for a family with two small children!  It got me thinking of how the tradition of picnic baskets seems to have faded a little with the introduction of cooler bags and eskies (or ice boxes if you're out of Australia). Of course they are more practical but nowhere near as romantic.  I wondered if you could still buy the traditional baskets anymore - and you can!  Look to etsy for genuine vintage baskets that you can fill up yourself with beautiful crockery and linen, or there are some lovely new ones in the old style - that usually come with a hefty price tag I might add!

Lindeman Wicker basket for two

Satara brown wicker basket for four from Peter's of Kensington

1900's wood picnic basket from Etsy


Vintage red picnic basket

Classic Redmon Picnic Basket from Etsy

Mid-century woven wicker basket on Etsy
Vintage Sunjoy picnic hamper

And if you want the vintage look but without the stress of potential broken plates and cups - go paper.


Vintage afternoon tea paper plates
Cake plates
Tea Party floral paper plates


Sunshine moment....

The next thing you are going to see absolutely took my breath away when I saw them in the latest Inside Out magazine.  So a breathless sunshine moment.  They are by a Czech designer called Boris Klimek, and in Australia you can get them from Hub Furniture from $205 each.  And yes, they are real working lights. Have you seen anything more beautiful for a child's bedroom?  I want one.  Or lots.








No comments:

Post a Comment